Saturday, August 30, 2008



Solu-Medrol

08-15-08

Description

Methylprednisolone is one of a group of corticosteroids (cortisone-like medications) that are used to relieve inflammation in different parts of the body. Corticosteroids are used in MS for the management of acute exacerbations because they have the capacity to close the damaged blood-brain barrier and reduce inflammation in the central nervous system.

Most neurologists treating MS believe that high-dose corticosteroids given intravenously are the most effective treatment for an exacerbation. Patients generally receive a four-day course of treatment I had five days for one hour a piece. This high-dose, intravenous steroid treatment is then typically followed by a gradually tapering dose of an oral corticosteroid. Today is the last day of the pills

Corticosteroids may produce mood changes and/or mood swings of varying intensity. These mood alterations can vary from relatively mild to extremely intense, and can vary in a single individual from one course of treatment to another. Neither the patient nor the physician can predict with any certainty whether the corticosteroids are likely to precipitate these mood alterations. I can predict, and yes I was a right bastard. My wife is a saint.

Side effects may also include increased appetite Yes; indigestion oh yeah; nervousness or restlessness Call me Woody Allen; trouble sleeping It's quarter to 4 in the morning you decide; headache This is unfair really, if I breath I get a headache; increased sweating Like a preacher on Sunday; unusual increase in hair growth on body or face. lets be serious, I would welcome this one, but alas it didn't happen.
acne or other skin problems It's like Peter Brady on class picture day; swelling of the face I do believe that this has happened, but can't really tell. I'm always accused of having an inflated sense of self; swelling of the feet or lower legs not this one; rapid weight gain not rapid but this time around I gain three pounds; pain in the hips or other joints (caused by bone cell degeneration) Maybe pain in the ass, but the hips no; bloody or black, tarry stools thankfully No; elevated blood pressure Check; markedly increased thirst If the Hoover Damn burst I might be sated; menstrual irregularities I will have to say no here seeing how it would in itself be an irregularity had I started menstrating; unusual bruising of the skin only where the nurses missed the veins for the IV; thin, shiny skin haven't noticed this one; hair loss fine kick a guy when he's down; muscle cramps or pain I don't care how much water or potassium you think I am not injesting my body was just built to cramp. Once you stop this medication after taking it for a long period of time, it may take several months for your body to readjust.

* Since it may be difficult to distinguish between certain common symptoms of MS and some side effects of methylprednisolone, be sure to consult your health care professional if an abrupt change of this type occurs.

I hate this therapy, there is nothing pleasant about it. It often times seems that the cure is worse than the disease. Unfortunately I still feel ill. Doctors are unhappy with my exams. They are going to try a new treatment called IVIG.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ben, I remember when we were up chatting a few years ago during a flare-up and when I had newborn Charlotte. Well, here I am now, not sleeping due to this massive belly and it won't be long til I am up with two. Is My So Called Life still on reruns at 4 AM? Fingers crossed for the IVIG and MRI.

Joan said...

Hi BB! Welcome to the blogosphere!

I live just down I-95 in Delaware (but I'm a Steelers fan), and was diagnosed in 1999 after years of 'maybe MS' wonderings. My story is at shortinthecord.blogspot.com. I look forward to hearing more from you.